Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Valve timing tools

  1. #1
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121

    Valve timing tools

    Hi, anyone got the necessary valve timing tools I could hire/borrow if my valves need adjustment?
    The bike is nearly at the 12k mark and I thought i'd check the valves over the winter period.
    Fingers crossed they don't need doing as it looks like a bit of a job.
    Don't fancy having to ship the bike all the way to the mainland (14hrs by ferry!!) just for valve clearances to be done as it'll cost me a bloody fortune!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by peerieivan View Post
    Hi, anyone got the necessary valve timing tools I could hire/borrow if my valves need adjustment?
    The bike is nearly at the 12k mark and I thought i'd check the valves over the winter period.
    Fingers crossed they don't need doing as it looks like a bit of a job.
    Don't fancy having to ship the bike all the way to the mainland (14hrs by ferry!!) just for valve clearances to be done as it'll cost me a bloody fortune!!!!!!
    Good luck with the service i admire your gusto, apparently even the tools for the job need to be customised to actually do the job, but hey it's only nuts and bolts...let is know how it goes you could be the first to break the grip the dealers have on us with this very expensive 12k service.. mines looming... good luck I really hope you manage it

  3. #3
    One Litre Duc Eater Rizla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Scotland
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Good luck with the service i admire your gusto, apparently even the tools for the job need to be customised to actually do the job, but hey it's only nuts and bolts...let is know how it goes you could be the first to break the grip the dealers have on us with this very expensive 12k service.. mines looming... good luck I really hope you manage it
    It's just the front bank inlet cam pin that needs to be modified to do the clearances with the motor in the frame.

    My tech put a step / offset in the original pin so that it would fit.

  4. #4
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Thanks for that Rizla I understand now, I may do mine myself to when the time comes...
    Thanks from Rizla

  5. #5
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Its the logistics of shipping the bike on the ferry, then to the dealer and back again that adds so much to the service (probably 200-300 extra), not even sure where the nearest Aprilia dealer would be to Aberdeen as that's where the ferry docks at!! Anyone know where the closest would be? I've been a mechanic for 26 years so fairly confident it wouldn't be a problem to do if I had the tools.

  6. #6
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by peerieivan View Post
    Its the logistics of shipping the bike on the ferry, then to the dealer and back again that adds so much to the service (probably 200-300 extra), not even sure where the nearest Aprilia dealer would be to Aberdeen as that's where the ferry docks at!! Anyone know where the closest would be? I've been a mechanic for 26 years so fairly confident it wouldn't be a problem to do if I had the tools.
    You'll piss it if you got that much experience just need the service manual

  7. #7
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Got the service manual Neo, just need the locking tools for the cams etc, bloody expensive too buy!!!! But may be the cheapest way!!

  8. #8
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    I bet they are m, they want us to take the bikes to them to make as much as poss, I did valves on my hornet was a simple thing in itself just labour intensive cams in cams out cams in cams out not sure if there's a tool for checking cam lobe wear or not on the ape I'd like to think it should be ok but heard of people needing cams as well as worn beyond spec limit at 12k!! Must be made of chocolate

  9. #9
    Superbike Twin Dave V4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    155
    Strip it and check them for starters there is a very slim chance no adjustment will be necessary lol.

  10. #10
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Yeah was thinking to strip it down and check them first, knowing my luck and being SOOOOOOO far from a dealer I'm just looking at the worst and having to adjust them!!!
    Fingers crossed that when I do check they're all ok!!

  11. #11
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Well guys finally got round to checking the valve clearances today, all good apart from 4 inlet valves which are a tad on the tight side (0.05mm instead of 0.1-0.15) pity as it looks like it's gonna need shimmed, now, don't suppose anyone has the proper tools lying around to loan me for a fee?? Either that or do i ship the whole bike minus the tank etc or remove the engine an ship that? Thoughts? Remember i'm 14hrs from Aberdeen by ferry alone!!
    Thanks from Neo

  12. #12
    Superbike Twin Dave V4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    155
    how much do the tools cost? seems a lot of buggering around to ship the bike or motor, anyone fancy sharing costs and sharing the kit?

  13. #13
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Quick pricing of the tools comes in at approx. 600 for the basic needs must kit!!!

  14. #14
    Superbike Twin Dave V4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by peerieivan View Post
    Quick pricing of the tools comes in at approx. 600 for the basic needs must kit!!!
    Shit, that's seems a bit excessive tbh. Probably get it booked in at Aprilia Performance then as its local

  15. #15
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave V4 View Post
    Shit, that's seems a bit excessive tbh. Probably get it booked in at Aprilia Performance then as its local
    Did you get the service done Dave or diy

  16. #16
    Superbike Twin Dave V4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Did you get the service done Dave or diy
    still under 10k on it atm, will probably wait till I get back from this years jollies now

  17. #17
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    So, off to skinner motorcycles in Dundee to get the valve clearances done, they were very helpful and so far seem like a great place to deal with, going to put the bike in the back of the van and get the ferry down, ferry trip alone is costing me 310, seems like the best option, any other way I try it just comes out about the same cost, at least I'll get a day away from the rock in the north sea ,at least it'll be done and wont need to worry about it anymore

  18. #18
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by peerieivan View Post
    So, off to skinner motorcycles in Dundee to get the valve clearances done, they were very helpful and so far seem like a great place to deal with, going to put the bike in the back of the van and get the ferry down, ferry trip alone is costing me 310, seems like the best option, any other way I try it just comes out about the same cost, at least I'll get a day away from the rock in the north sea ,at least it'll be done and wont need to worry about it anymore
    Nice one how many miles are you on now? I'm a shade over 10k so mine may be next year depending on family commitments the wife's say so (equilibrium) and the weather

  19. #19
    Superbike Twin peerieivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shetland Isles
    Posts
    121
    Just shy of the 12k mark on it now Neo, can't wait to get back on the road although its been hailing here today so might have to wait a few more weeks for the temperature to come up a little

  20. #20
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Superbike Twin Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by peerieivan View Post
    Just shy of the 12k mark on it now Neo, can't wait to get back on the road although its been hailing here today so might have to wait a few more weeks for the temperature to come up a little
    I'm like 10,600 I went out on mine yesterday i have dropped the front sprocket x1 tooth I have mental acceleration bonkers and better around town, not done top speed yet banged out 135 mega quick. My 12 k will be late this year or next year early hopefully the clearances are in spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Discussions

  1. changing fork oil on gen 1 tuono, any speical tools required
    By greenman1966 in forum Mechanical and Technical
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 20th, 2016, 06:24 PM
  2. Chain care, cleaning & tools
    By OlafTuono in forum Motorcycle Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 31st, 2012, 07:19 AM
  3. Need Tools?
    By quadd0 in forum eBay Auctions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
  4. valve clearances
    By bloodnut in forum Aprilia RSV Tuono
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1