Thread: Chain

Chain

Lo Peeps,Bloody chain snapped on my gen 2 factory this afternoon .After having been out hooning for a couple of hours I gave it a bit of a handful off a roundabout and the next thing I know is the motor`s bouncing off the limiter .Iv`e inspected the chain and it broke on the joining link side plate .It looks like the last time the chain was replaced someone damaged the side plate while peening .My question is ,I have a 15/40 sprocket set-up, both sprockets look like new so do I need to change them if no apparent damage or hooking etc ?( the chain looks perfect apart from the joining link is fucked, but fuck it I want a new one )so is a standared 108 link chain right for this gearing ?

Many thanks in advance

Gloin the `lucky the chain didn`t fuck my engine`

Check to see if the sprocket is hooked front and back if not then just a chain will do,check the chain buy holding it sidewards and against the normal way,if it bends to far down,chains goosed

give it a good clean and check all the other links, i had to return an reynolds chain a few years back, as ALL the side plates on the inner side had little cracks on the radius near the pins.

One Litre Duc Eater
    imo......... i would fit all new, give A/P a call and see what Griff has to say?

+1

Then give B&C a call...

You are sooOooOooOoooooo lucky that bugger didn't let go and lock everything up....or worse still take your leg off....

Do not fuck around with cheap options when it comes to chains....fit the very best you can afford....and if you can't afford....leave it in the garage.

Yeah Tifa I appreciate the `luck` content in this event,Had the same on a gixxer in 2004 fucked the bike up and chucked me down the road,Which is the reason for my ramblings I think .New sprockets aswell then I guess .DiD like this I`m thinking http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-10...item4cfb6ee107 I cant find anywhere that does the same deal exept with a 15t front sprocket,any ideas ?

Gloin

That looks ok dude.
    You WANT the 15t, no probs there.
    Seller is DK, give them call, they might do it cheaper out of ebay, excl. ebay fees?

One Litre Duc Eater
    Got 15/40 on my 09,, std chain , some go 15/42 i cant keep my front down with my gearing let alone 15/42 might try one day a keep up with IL4s on the straights? Good luck.

After cleaning and looking closer at the chain I have so far found 9 more inner side plates that are cracked/showing stress marks. chain is a tsubaki,I am wondering if its worth contacting them about this ?.Check your chain on both sides lads I feel I was very lucky, especialy now after seeing the chain cleaned up like new.

Gloin

The only chain I ever snapped was a DID gold so I dont think it matters what you buy , I quite like EK stuff