Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Bought myself a problem on 2 wheels

Grrrr this forum doesn't give you a long time before it logs you out does it.
    Hilift I checked the female connector because that's what Felix told me to check, now I realise with hind sight that maybe I should have checked the other side while I had the bike apart, but I'm not the sharpest and its only just occurred to me. Looking at your second post I think I had the right end anyway.
    Can't get into the garage this evening, its a bit moist here, and my garage is full of crap that I have to move to get to the bike, hopefully tomorrow will be dry and I'll get in there tomorrow.

One Litre Duc Eater
    just to throw a new spanner in the works !! this all could be the rec/regulator throwing in the towel rather than the stator .

the rec/reg gets hot too !! and could also be braking down when hot , if you are getting charge as you stated the stator may ( and that's only a maybe ) ok .

m and p are listing the mosfet technology ( don't ask ) elecrosport ( which ive got fitted ) rectifier /regulator for about 80 . its also very easy to replace .

ive also got a bolloxed stator that's crispy and black I,ll let you have that for free !!

My original ape stator deffo had female connectors on the end of the lead...

I dismantled the brown connector, put new female ends on the lead and re used the brown connector...

Here ya go - Pic of my fooked Ricks stator c/w connectors:

BTW - For reference - if anyone also chooses to re-use the brown connector..... you need to remove the white clip before you can remove the connectors...

Last edited by felix; October 12th, 2018 at 01:30 AM.

So I got into the garage this afternoon, and because I didn't put the cable back tidily I was able to pull it out without removing the coolant bottle.
    This is what the connector looks like as you can see one side is black, the other brown. There's no evidence of the connectors failing, but I still can't get a reading from the connectors. It must be doing something otherwise I wouldn't get any charging reading at the battery.
    I think if the weather gets better over the weekend I'll take her for a spin and see if it cuts out again.
    Thanks again for the help

Last edited by Sheep; October 12th, 2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: adding text

This is an interesting thread, bursting to see whit the problem is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oops a forgot it's an 07 ape.

Keep it coming fuds, this is braw.

Quote Originally Posted by hilift View Post
    just to throw a new spanner in the works !! this all could be the rec/regulator throwing in the towel rather than the stator .

the rec/reg gets hot too !! and could also be braking down when hot , if you are getting charge as you stated the stator may ( and that's only a maybe ) ok .

m and p are listing the mosfet technology ( don't ask ) elecrosport ( which ive got fitted ) rectifier /regulator for about 80 . its also very easy to replace .

ive also got a bolloxed stator that's crispy and black I,ll let you have that for free !!
    Just looked at M&P's website this is the description for the reg/rec

Cheap aftermarket regulators and stators offer NONE of these features. Some may work ok in an application if you're lucky... Or not if you're not lucky and may take the bike's ECU down as well. There's no research, no testing, no improvement mechanism behind any of these cheap units. They are what they are: cheap, and may or may not work.

Also there is no proper application listing with any of these cheap replacements. The suppliers typically do not even know exactly what bikes these units fit or how to test them

"still can't get a reading from the connectors. It must be doing something otherwise I wouldn't get any charging reading at the battery"

As you have a constant 14.1 V i agree - it must be charging.... unless something is breaking down when hot (as hilift mentioned)

maybe take your meter with you when you go out for a spin and check the battery readings if it does it again ?

stick the spanner / socket / allen key (for whatever Seat bolts you have) in a pocket then you can get straight at it if need be...

Fingers crossed !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12