Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: What to look out for? i'm searching for a Tuono!

  1. #1
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29

    What to look out for? i'm searching for a Tuono!

    Hi guys.

    First let me introduce myself. Sorry if this is the wrong place?

    I'm from Derbyshire, UK. I've been riding for 6 years and turn 24 this year. I've had a couple of V configuration engines in the past, i really liked the SV650s engine but it didnt have enough power, so i moved onto a VFR800 vtec, which i've currently got up for sale. The V4 of the VFR is nice, but i prefered the vtwin of the SV and i think i've got my heart set on a Tuono now. Something a little more wild compared to what im used to, i like that.

    So i was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sparing a little of your knowledge.

    What should i be looking with the Tuono? Budget is about 4-5k and i was just hoping for a few tips on what i should expect for my money.

    I hear the rear shock linkage is an issue? It's good for that to of been lubed? Is that a problem if it hasnt been on a 10-15k miles bike? or would you just do it as soon as i got it?

    How about common problems? what are there? Are these Rotax engines really quite reliable? or is the wiring a problem?

    Sorry for so many questions. I've been searching around and its quite frankly a minefield out there. This forum seems quite layed back (like me) so i thought it might be a good place to start.

    Thanks in advance.
    Oli

  2. #2
    Evil Twin 2nd Chldhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    300
    Search through the forum, you'll find plenty of advice. I've not heard of the rear shock linkage having issues, but the stock rear shock ain't the greatest, unless you buy a Factory. The Rotax engine is damn near bullet proof, but the stator/rotor is a known problem. (Just had mine replaced last fall) Wiring? Search for "brown connector". Good luck in your search...

  3. #3
    Baby Twin sp1n99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Off shore
    Posts
    41
    Motorama, Jersey have got a brilliant gen2 for sale ( it's my old one).
    I sold it on a couple of years ago, I had it from new.
    7500 miles, 3495. There is the issue of vat and uk registration but I'm sure if you speak to Darren something could be worked out.
    Good luck the Tuono is a brilliant bike, I'm now on a V4 after a couple of years on a bland ( but competent ) fireblade.

  4. #4
    Superbike Twin Dave V4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    155
    Another 2k and your in the v4 market. There was a bike on here a couple of months back with a cracked mount on the rear shock linkage but that was alot older than your looking at. I've never had the v2 so don't have any wisdom to share sorry, good luck with your search though

  5. #5
    One Litre Duc Eater
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    the wasteland east anglia
    Posts
    794
    Hi and welcome to the forum , ( nice to see a proper intro for a change ) .

    There is a good buying guide on " tuonoworld.com " . Most mature owners will have been fastidous with maintenence . so if you buy private you can check out the owner too .

    things to look for basically , are - dog bone yearly re greasing , valve clearances at 20 k , sprag clutch and possibly stator windings .

    I have heard of bikes with well over 30,000 miles on the clock and still going strong .

    I dont think they are any more trouble some than anything else on the market .

    go for it .!!

  6. #6
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Cheers guys! Good to hear.

    30k? i was hoping theyd be good for alot more than that. Mr viffers barely run in at 25k haha. Anyhow, the lower the mileage the better then. I've been looking for ones with around 10k on the clock where possible.

    I'll do a search for the brown connector, thankyou.

    I'm not really too fussed about having a V4 again tbh. I know it'll be different to the V4 in the VFR but i quite like the lumpiness and character of a Vtwin.

    That one in Jersey sounds nice, if only it was on the mainland! haha.

    Are they usually pretty problem free then? or do you guys find yourself constantly tinkering to make it work? haha

  7. #7
    One Litre Duc Eater
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    the wasteland east anglia
    Posts
    794
    Touch wood , not had any bother with mine , except for slight problem with the left hand switch unit .

    regular servicing , cleaning and maintenance . 21,000 miles no bother.

  8. #8
    Baby Twin Bash Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaylor38 View Post
    Cheers guys! Good to hear.

    30k? i was hoping theyd be good for alot more than that. Mr viffers barely run in at 25k haha. Anyhow, the lower the mileage the better then. I've been looking for ones with around 10k on the clock where possible.

    I'll do a search for the brown connector, thankyou.

    I'm not really too fussed about having a V4 again tbh. I know it'll be different to the V4 in the VFR but i quite like the lumpiness and character of a Vtwin.

    That one in Jersey sounds nice, if only it was on the mainland! haha.

    Are they usually pretty problem free then? or do you guys find yourself constantly tinkering to make it work? haha
    IMG_2838.JPG

    I'd sell you mine but it might be a wee bit too far for you to ship! I'm dying to get my hands on a V4T. 5,500 miles and pristine!

  9. #9
    Baby Twin JohnnyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    5
    Hi Oli,

    I'm also in Derbyshire!

    Having had various bikes over the past 30+ years (and having been a Ducati Dealer in the past), I bought a mint 07 Tuono Factory R for 5,500 recently - it's an incredible bike. You should be able to get a decent, looked after Tuono within your budget. I was tempted to buy from a (non-franchise) dealer, until I checked the feedback on them - and avoided them, although they have a big selection. There are enough decent dealer and private bikes around, so just have a look round

    Most owners are knowledgeable and look after their bikes - just ask the right questions. All bikes / makes have their foibles and peculiarities - try no to worry too much about this. A Tuono is not a VFR, and will require more looking after - but not as much as a Ducati.

  10. #10
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    11
    there is a nice one in mileskingsport in hull in white think is on a 10 plate looks standard .I hive a 07 gen 2 only thing I would recomed is getting some different pegs and move the master cylinder so you get a back brake that works standard ones are crap

  11. #11
    Baby Twin Derick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    84
    WOW are "Miles king Sport"v still going. I bought my first brand new bike from them in 1980.
    A Suzuki GP100N (disk brake model)
    Here is a picture of me with it after bring it home from Miles King Sport...
    GP100 Derick0001.jpg

  12. #12
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Ahh, look at that. The start of many years of biking, eh?
    Last edited by Otaylor38; March 28th, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Thanks from Derick

  13. #13
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash Hat View Post
    IMG_2838.JPG

    I'd sell you mine but it might be a wee bit too far for you to ship! I'm dying to get my hands on a V4T. 5,500 miles and pristine!
    Ahh! love the colour as well. I have seen one for sale in that colour and wasnt sure if it was an original colour. I suppose it must be then! haha

  14. #14
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Hi Oli,

    I'm also in Derbyshire!

    Having had various bikes over the past 30+ years (and having been a Ducati Dealer in the past), I bought a mint 07 Tuono Factory R for 5,500 recently - it's an incredible bike. You should be able to get a decent, looked after Tuono within your budget. I was tempted to buy from a (non-franchise) dealer, until I checked the feedback on them - and avoided them, although they have a big selection. There are enough decent dealer and private bikes around, so just have a look round

    Most owners are knowledgeable and look after their bikes - just ask the right questions. All bikes / makes have their foibles and peculiarities - try no to worry too much about this. A Tuono is not a VFR, and will require more looking after - but not as much as a Ducati.
    Nice to see somebody on here local. You're only over the hill from me. I'm in Buxton.

    Ah the cleaning and maintenance isnt an issue. I'm very anal about my bikes, not happy with anything unless its perfect. The VFR was just like a new one condition wise, but actually 14 years old. I sold it today! So now im really seriously looking for a Tuono.

    Theres one in Doncaster J&S that i like the look of actually. 5k miles on it, but it is a little over the higher end of my budget.

    Cheers
    Oli

  15. #15
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by daveuk View Post
    there is a nice one in mileskingsport in hull in white think is on a 10 plate looks standard .I hive a 07 gen 2 only thing I would recomed is getting some different pegs and move the master cylinder so you get a back brake that works standard ones are crap
    Cheers Dave. When you say moving the master cylinder. Is that to a lower or higher position or something? Ive heard the back brakes are crap, but the fronts are fantastic.

  16. #16
    One Litre Duc Eater Fugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    875
    Welcome to the mad house.
    You will find anything and everything there is to know about Tuono's here.
    The rear master cylinder is mounted on the side of the engine and not far from the front header pipes so gets warm which doesn't help the performance of the rear brake so moving it with rear sets away from the heat source is a good move.

  17. #17
    One Litre Duc Eater
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    southampton area
    Posts
    936
    I never had a rear brake problem (09) but I've fitted A/P rearsets , better brake force and gear change seems smoother IMO , plus they look good too ?

  18. #18
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly View Post
    Welcome to the mad house.
    You will find anything and everything there is to know about Tuono's here.
    The rear master cylinder is mounted on the side of the engine and not far from the front header pipes so gets warm which doesn't help the performance of the rear brake so moving it with rear sets away from the heat source is a good move.

    Ah okay. Thanks for that! Ill look into it once i get one .

    Just one more question (im sure ill think of more? Haha). Do all the replacement clocks crack?

    Is it fair game to say that if the clocks are cracked, theyre replacements and the mileage might not be true?

  19. #19
    One Litre Duc Eater Fugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    875
    I've not had an issues with clocks cracking but misting is quite common but there are mods detailed oin this sight to fix that which I will be doing in the next week or two.

  20. #20
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly View Post
    I've not had an issues with clocks cracking but misting is quite common but there are mods detailed oin this sight to fix that which I will be doing in the next week or two.
    Ah okay. Maybe the cracking isnt as common as i thought then? Ive seen a few used ones with cracks in, one had 2 replacement clocks. Misting is one thing, but a crack would annoy me haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Discussions

  1. Searching Akrapovic ESD
    By watts in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1