Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: high mileage what's yours done

  1. #1
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11

    high mileage what's yours done

    Hi folks new to this forum.
    I have not yet bought a tuono as I am looking for a 2003 racing I know very rare but I can dream lol.
    Just wondering what sort of mileage your bikes have and any one know of any really high miles.
    Many thanks
    Spence

  2. #2
    One Litre Duc Eater chris13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    sheffield, yorkshire
    Posts
    617
    Hi ya Spence

    Welcome to the forum pal,

    I've a 2006 gen 2 with 18000 on,

  3. #3
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Hey Chris thanks for the welcome..
    I am just asking as I see bikes at up to 30k and I cringe lol but not sure why that is.

  4. #4
    Baby Twin Yogi896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Milford Haven
    Posts
    10
    I've got a 51 plate RSV which is Tuono'd currently at 31k miles, no issues with her at all. Regular maintenance and good quality oils should see me ok for a few more years yet.

  5. #5
    One Litre Duc Eater
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    the wasteland east anglia
    Posts
    794
    ,57 plate gen 2 tuono 22,000 miles and going strong , a testament to regular thorough maintenance using good quality service parts .

    Oh and welcome to the forum.

  6. #6
    Baby Twin riffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Upper Hutt, New Zealand
    Posts
    17
    Gen 1 RSV Tuono R 2004 model. 108,000kms. No issues whatsoever. That's over 60,000 miles for those of you who haven't gone metric yet.

  7. #7
    Baby Twin Derick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    84
    Most bikes which have a reasonable service history should run for over 50,000 miles before the wear of the engine starts to burn oil and loose a few PSI of compression. Bare in mind, most modern car petrol engines will go 200,000 miles before any significant wear starts to show.
    Because modern bike engines run approximately twice the speed of a petrol car engine you can expect to half the mileage for the same amount of wear.
    Bike engines have another big fundamental disadvantage when it comes to design which can also have a significant effect on engine life. The gearbox is integrated and continually sheds particles of metal. If you ever do an oil change yourself you will see these in the oil as gold looking particles.
    If you are buying a bike for track days etc I'd not want a bike with more than 30,000 miles on the clock. Better to go for low miles but tatty.

  8. #8
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    Gen 1 RSV Tuono R 2004 model. 108,000kms. No issues whatsoever. That's over 60,000 miles for those of you who haven't gone metric yet.
    Wow 108km that's a fair few Riffer.
    Have you had to do.much repair to the engine or is it just servicing?

  9. #9
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    Most bikes which have a reasonable service history should run for over 50,000 miles before the wear of the engine starts to burn oil and loose a few PSI of compression. Bare in mind, most modern car petrol engines will go 200,000 miles before any significant wear starts to show.
    Because modern bike engines run approximately twice the speed of a petrol car engine you can expect to half the mileage for the same amount of wear.
    Bike engines have another big fundamental disadvantage when it comes to design which can also have a significant effect on engine life. The gearbox is integrated and continually sheds particles of metal. If you ever do an oil change yourself you will see these in the oil as gold looking particles.
    If you are buying a bike for track days etc I'd not want a bike with more than 30,000 miles on the clock. Better to go for low miles but tatty.
    Hi Derick
    That's why I ask as my last rsv was 2000 model with less than 5k and I got no money for it back in 2008. Regret selling it. Bike engines do have a harder life more abuse.
    I know of a bike with 45k which is for sale but has had a hard life. However with a bit of love could be great again. But not sure it's worth it. I really want a 2003 racing due to it looking immense and very striking with all the carbon. But if it doesn't have original carbon it's difficult to say it's a proper racing.
    So if anyone knows of a racing or the 04 05 factory for.sale let me know cause I can.paint wheels lol

  10. #10
    One Litre Duc Eater Fugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    875
    An aquaintance of mine commutes year round on a Hornet 600 which currently has 188,000 miles on it. He maintains it himself and it's been totally reliable apart from a reg/rec failure and consumables.
    He said he will move it on in the next couple of years so another 45K miles and will replace with another.

  11. #11
    Baby Twin Derick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by iomtuono View Post
    Hi Derick
    That's why I ask as my last rsv was 2000 model with less than 5k and I got no money for it back in 2008. Regret selling it. Bike engines do have a harder life more abuse.
    I know of a bike with 45k which is for sale but has had a hard life. However with a bit of love could be great again. But not sure it's worth it. I really want a 2003 racing due to it looking immense and very striking with all the carbon. But if it doesn't have original carbon it's difficult to say it's a proper racing.
    So if anyone knows of a racing or the 04 05 factory for.sale let me know cause I can.paint wheels lol
    Hi iomtuono
    I have renovated quite a few bikes in my time and have found it not worth doing if the bike has over 50,000 miles on the clock, unless you intend to buy loads of engine parts, because engine components are worn and need costly replacements...
    For example: I had a 45,000mile CB750 which was working reasonably well but was cosmeticly tatty. However one of the cylinders was at its lower limit on compression. So I opened up the engine and started measuring all its components. For a start all the piston ring groves where worn beyond tolerances from millions of up and down movements. The bores, rings, valves stems, valve guides etc etc had all worn to minimum or just within minimum. It would have cost a fortune to renovate and that's before starting on the cycle parts. So I reground the valves to up the compression a bit. Put the bike through an MOT and sold it as running "SWEET AS A NUT MATE". And it did run ok at face value but I knew it was going to need work sooner rather than later.
    Horses for causes: because I have a mate with an 1995 650 Honda NTV with 98000 and still running, mind you I serviced it for him once and he'd bought 5W40 oil. The oil light came on after only 150 miles, ha ha....
    CB 750
    honda7.jpg

    HONDA NTV
    IMG_01761 (2).jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    Last edited by Derick; March 4th, 2016 at 06:47 AM.

  12. #12
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    yeah the thing is its a tuono racing original and he wants about 2.5 for it its done 45k but needs a rear subframe as has a modded one from a ducati and needs a carbon rear tail unit. wheels painted black and generally needs love i think. decent ones are going from 4.5k to 7 depending if they have the goodies with it.
    I think because its the bike i have longed for for so long i think i can make it work possibly use it as is this year then winter job.
    I could probably buy a decent 03 fighter for the same money with less miles but not what i really looking for i like all the ohlins and oz wheels am definitely a bling guy ha ha.
    The engine mileage does bother me as will need a build as you say at some point soon probably and being the racing it needs to keep the engine thats in it.

  13. #13
    Baby Twin Derick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    84
    Unless you are or have a history of being able to restore bikes, you are taking a big gamble buying the 2.5 Tuono racing. And that is just the start of the outlay... And even if you do manage to restore the thing you end up with a high mileage messed about with bike that is not worth much....
    In my opinion Use the 2.5 as a deposit arrange a good finance deal with a bank etc for at least 4 or 5 years and buy a 6.5 low mileage. The interest you will pay for a low rate loan will be more than covered by the appreciating classic status of a low mileage Tuono Racing.
    You can then spend your time riding and showing off...
    Aprilia Tuono Factory Racing 1000 | eBay

  14. #14
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Good call showing off what I do best lol

  15. #15
    Baby Twin britishmarkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Zurich
    Posts
    17
    The Tuono I have the engine seized at 39 ,000 KM , unsure why but I have swapped the Engine and that's not fun , so yes go for Low Miles

  16. #16
    Baby Twin
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Los Angeels
    Posts
    1
    My 2007 Tuono R has just over 56,500 miles, 90,900km. I'm the second owner, purchased it salvaged 4 years ago as an insurance write off with 25k miles (cosmetic crash damage). The engine pulls as hard as the day I bought it.. recently had the the valves serviced and the mechanic said the engine was in great shape. Have had the notorious electrical issues (replaced stator twice). Several oil leaks recently, many of the seals seemed to wear out all at once.. but nothing serious that I wasn't able to fix myself (oil cooler hose, starter motor o-ring, countershaft seal). Very happy with this bike.



    Quote Originally Posted by iomtuono View Post
    Hi folks new to this forum.
    I have not yet bought a tuono as I am looking for a 2003 racing I know very rare but I can dream lol.
    Just wondering what sort of mileage your bikes have and any one know of any really high miles.
    Many thanks
    Spence

  17. #17
    Baby Twin riffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Upper Hutt, New Zealand
    Posts
    17
    My Gen 1 has just gone 117,000 kms. I just gave it a birthday - new tyres - S21 front, T30evo rear, new sprockets 16F, 44R and chain - XW ring RK gold, new brake pads - Goldfren sintered, new oil and filter, and K&N filter. Plugs are still good, no lack of power, only a little bit rattly at idle - hardly surprising given the kms and I need to check the valve clearances soon.

    I was loving the way the bike felt... for 66 kms... then it died.

    After a bit of diagnosis, we pulled the immersion fuel pump out of the tank. And the high pressure hose between the fuel pump and the fuel filter has burst. Waiting for parts to arrive from AF1 Racing now. Reading the service manual, its a service item every four years. There's absolutely no sign of any loctite anaerobic sealant on the o ring on the fuel pump so I have to assume it's never been done. Sigh...

    A mate has lent me his 2007 Aprilia Tuono R for the meantime. It's nice... but I really prefer my Gen 1. It's a lot more animal and raw, and the lowered gearing is a heap more fun.
    Thanks from andyadair85

  18. #18
    One Litre Duc Eater Paul D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Midlands (UK)
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    Gen 1 RSV Tuono R 2004 model. 108,000kms. No issues whatsoever. That's over 60,000 miles for those of you who haven't gone metric yet.
    Good to know !

    I think the quality of oil used and frequency of changes make a big difference re. level of engine wear & tear.

    Oil quality (plus engine tolerances) had improved significantly compared to the 1980's (e.g. classic CB750 heritage).

  19. #19
    Superbike Twin YevJenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nooo Zeeeelund
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    My Gen 1 has just gone 117,000 kms. I just gave it a birthday - new tyres - S21 front, T30evo rear, new sprockets 16F, 44R and chain - XW ring RK gold, new brake pads - Goldfren sintered, new oil and filter, and K&N filter. Plugs are still good, no lack of power, only a little bit rattly at idle - hardly surprising given the kms and I need to check the valve clearances soon.

    I was loving the way the bike felt... for 66 kms... then it died.

    After a bit of diagnosis, we pulled the immersion fuel pump out of the tank. And the high pressure hose between the fuel pump and the fuel filter has burst. Waiting for parts to arrive from AF1 Racing now. Reading the service manual, its a service item every four years. There's absolutely no sign of any loctite anaerobic sealant on the o ring on the fuel pump so I have to assume it's never been done. Sigh...

    A mate has lent me his 2007 Aprilia Tuono R for the meantime. It's nice... but I really prefer my Gen 1. It's a lot more animal and raw, and the lowered gearing is a heap more fun.
    Glad to see you got it sorted riffer. I need mates that can lend me a gen 2 like that

  20. #20
    Superbike Twin YevJenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nooo Zeeeelund
    Posts
    176
    My 03 gen 1 has 30,000 miles (or 47000 km). 17,000 of those miles 28km) have been put on in the last two and a half years. Bike is Used daily and runs like a dream.

    When I bought it, I saw another 03 with 75,000 miles (120km's) and it was in ace condition. You had to look really closely to see the difference. Than ran smoothly too.

    These bikes love regular maintenance and regular use

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Discussions

  1. high mileage
    By bash62 in forum Aprilia Tuono V4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM
  2. lowest mileage?
    By mindfck in forum Aprilia Tuono 1000
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 19th, 2016, 08:48 AM
  3. Very low mileage 2004 Tuono
    By gjbird in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
  4. Low mileage Aprilia Tuono for sale
    By squatepantz in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 20th, 2013, 01:15 PM
  5. High milage
    By TRAMPSVEST in forum Aprilia Tuono 1000
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 25th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1